As mums we are busy and tired - especially during lockdown!! This recipe to cook with kids is easy and also fun to make so your toddler will love helping out. It uses ingredients you already have in your cupboard, so no additional trips to the shop or stressing out about getting an online delivery slot.
Toddler recipes like this will both entertain your child and freeze easily - the perfect combination if you ask me. You can use any shapes here to cut your puff pastry with and get as creative as you want!
We love to see and hear from all our mother daughter baking duos - tag us on Instagram @maeve.and.me to be featured with your creations!!
Serves: Makes about 16-18 small stars per sheet
- Puff Pastry
The toppings are entirely open to what you and your little ones like. We generally float between:
- Vegemite + cheese
- Tomato puree, mixed herbs + cheese
- Nutella (sometimes adding banana)
It's ideal to have toppings that are not too heavy though as the puff pastry will get weighed down and sometimes not cook through properly.
1. Preheat fan forced oven to 180°C, line tray with baking paper
2. Unroll puff pastry
3. Apply thin layer of sauce topping/ condiment
4. Sprinkle with cheese, herbs or other garnish (if using)
5. Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes and place on tray
6. Bake for 10 - 15 mins (taking out when cooked and nicely puffed)
TIPS FOR COOKING WITH TODDLERS:
- Prepare for some mess! The sauces are a lot of fun for them to play with so don't put them in their best dressed outfit!!
- Let them create their own masterpieces - they will love watching them rise in the oven and then the full experience of eating what they've made.
- Always have something on hand for them to play with. It will save lots of mess and frustration. E.g. measuring spoons, measuring jugs.
- I measure my ingredients before hand. I find Maeve enjoys the mixing parts most and gets bored (and therefore destructive) if she isn't getting involved.
PS. Don't waste the off cuts, put them on a different tray and instead of stealing some of your toddlers, these can be for you.
They can also be frozen for future snacks and thaw quickly.